Preventive Medicine for Adults in Dallas
Patient-Centric Internal Medicine Physicians with a Personable Bedside Manner
Even before you may notice any symptoms, your Hillcrest Internal Medicine physician will want to perform certain screenings to check for signs of specific diseases.
Contact the professionals at Hillcrest Internal Medicine today to schedule an appointment or to learn about our Dallas preventive medicine options for adults.
We commonly screen diseases including but are not limited to:
- High cholesterol: When waxy cholesterol builds up in the blood vessels (arteries) that carry oxygenated blood away from the heart and throughout the body, it contributes to plaque. This hard deposit narrows and clogs the arteries and makes it more difficult for the heart to circulate blood and oxygen, causing chest pain or trouble breathing, and can lead to a stroke or heart attack. Adults over age 20 should have their cholesterol measured once every 5 years, maintain a healthy diet, and exercise regularly to manage their body weight.
- High blood pressure: Hypertension is the condition of having high blood pressure. This is a serious health hazard that can go undetected for years and is the leading cause of heart disease. Blood pressure is measured and given a number – normal levels are less than 120. Hypertensive crises occur when blood pressure levels exceed 180. Heart disease can severely impact your health, which is why regular blood pressure monitoring is essential. If your blood pressure numbers are typically high, or you have a family history of hypertension, it is especially important to monitor your blood pressure regularly. During each visit to our office, including annual physical exams, your blood pressure will be monitored to identify and treat hypertension.
- Obesity: Carrying extra body weight is a health hazard, as many obesity-related illnesses can impede your quality of life and shorten your life span as well. Examples of obesity-related diseases include type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and fatty liver disease. Our doctors can diagnose and treat obesity through measurements such as body mass index (BMI) and metabolic rate.. If you are significantly overweight, our physicians often recommend medically supervised weight loss.
- Diabetes: This chronic hormonal disease can develop in children (type 1 diabetes) or later in life as an adult (type 2 diabetes). At Hillcrest Internal Medicine, we screen for type 2 diabetes in adults. This type of diabetes is screened through an FPG test which measures glucose (sugar) levels in the blood. Normal glucose levels are between 70 and 100.
- Cancer: Breast, cervical, colon, lung, and prostate cancers are all common forms of cancer that can be detected before symptoms appear. Early detection makes all the difference in the effectiveness of treatment and treatment options. For example, we offer mammograms for women age 40 and older as a means of early breast cancer detection. Mammograms can detect potentially cancerous tumors before you can feel a lump or show any other symptoms.
Contact Us at Hillcrest Internal Medicine for Dallas Preventive Medicine for Adults
Wellness care is essential for a better quality of life and vitality as you grow older. If you’re looking for qualified doctors in Dallas who use comprehensive preventive services to fit your individual needs, look no further than Hillcrest Internal Medicine.
To book an appointment with Hillcrest Internal Medicine, please call (469) 830-9600.
“I am completely satisfied with Dr. Hawkins as my Primary Care Physician. She is an excellent and very intelligent Doctor. I definitely recommend her.”- Wilma J.
“I highly recommend Dr. Stock. She truly listens to your concerns and her follow up has been excellent. She really cares for patients and people in general.”- Mary H.
“Dr. Stock is an amazing doctor! She cares about her patients, I have referred a couple of friends and both have nothing but great things to say about Dr. Stock.”- Evelyn O.